Blog Archive

Wednesday 2 July 2014

What a Blast... in more ways than one!

If you remember back to the start of this Blog, my first fundraising venture for Hospice was the 2012 Tarawera Ultra Marathon where I ran 60km and raised a little over $5000 for Hospice.

In 2014 the Vibram Tarawera Ultra-Marathon was part of the brand new Ultra Trail World Tour and with entry limits raise there was a real buzz around the whole event... a buzz that I was keen to be part of.

But there was no way that I was going to try and run 60km or more in the middle of the 52 in 52 challenge... however, there was a solution... the relay! The TUM allows for 2 or 4 person relays teams and so I set my sights on putting together a team. The 3rd leg of the relay from Okataina to the Tarawera Falls was one of my favourite bits of trail ever and - fortunately - came in at just over 22km... perfect to qualify under my 'half or longer' rule.

The team started with Marcus Daws my Osteopath Sponsor from Hamilton and a very tidy runner. The other two were Nathan Hodges and Scott Whitley, who were both married to one of my best friends daughters. Nathan was new to running and ran the Kiltathon with us and loved it. He was to run the first section to Okareka. Scott had been a top runner in his younger days and was getting back into it... however a couple of months out he had to withdraw from the run for health reasons.

His replacement was quickly found with Darren Crocker from Taupo. At almost the same time Scott pulled out, Darren asked me if I would like to run Western Okataina trail with him. This we did with his lovely wife Nadege picking us up from the other end. So that was the leg I asked him to run and he accepted.

Nathan early on (photo by Photos4Sale)
Then the rules changed, the imminent arrival of Cyclone Luisi meant the for the second year in a row the course was to be changed.

Lainy in Support at the Water Tanks
So on raceday we were there in all of the excitement in our special new shirts printed for us by the fantastic team at All Sew, in the pitch black of an early autumn morning in the Redwoods... looking for other team members by the light of our headlights and finally finding everyone.

Nathan was still first runner and his leg was an 11km loop up to Tokorangi Pa Rd, across to the tanks and down around the back. Then back over the hill to finish where he started. The change was that I would hop in at leg 2 and run to Okareka, as Nathan had only run 11km, I suggested that he continue with me to the Blue Lake which he gladly did.

Nathan & I nearing Nathan's finish (Photo by Photos4Sale)
We set a steady pace, Nathan was going pretty well considering he had pushed quite hard in his leg. He struggled a bit on the uphills, but on the straights he more than held his own. he dropped off on Windy Road, when he saw his lift home cheering at the side of the road and I upped the pace a bit.

Start of Tennent's Trail - thanks Glenn Larsen
Blue Lake Beach (photo by Photos4Sale)
I was happy with how it went, had a zoom around the Blue Lake and then onto 'Tennent's Trail' the trail I had adopted to look after in 2012 and I have looked after it for 3 TUM's now.

At the changeover I handed the transponder to Darren and he disappeared, while I then carried on up the road for nearly 2km and then back to make up the 21.1km needed for the challenge.

Darren on Eastern Okataina Walkway out & back
(Photo by Photos4Sale)
The weather was holding out pretty well at this stage, but by the time we had driven to Okataina it was starting to turn, the wind was rising and the rain was steady. It was still pretty cool to watch people as they arrived in various states of exhaustion, try to refuel and disappear again. We got 2 bites at seeing some of them, as they had to run a short out and back down part of Eastern Okataina Trail before handing over to the last runner.

Darren looked great coming into the Aid Station for the first visit, but the last few km of the out and back were tough. He handed over to Marcus and he was gone.

Marcus blitzing down the road towards the finish
(Photo by Photos4Sale)
I stayed on a bit at Okataina and cheered a few familiar faces on, I was lucky enough to be able to help Duncan Darroch refuel and lend him my wastebelt to fill and keep him going for the last section.

Done!! Marcus finishes (Photo by Phoros4Sale)
After that I left to head back to Okataina for the finish... not long after I left they stopped runners from going any further as the storm was getting worse and the danger level increasing.

I got to the finish in time to see the lovely Dawn Tuffery come home in 3rd place, a result she was ecstatic with. Marcus zoomed home and said he loved every minute... to have the team finish in 9th, a very creditable position.

I tried to stay around for a bit after that to watch more finish, but the rain was getting heavier and after running a half myself, they sensible thing to do was head home, get dry and make sure I stayed well enough for the next week.














No comments:

Post a Comment