Blog Archive

Friday 9 May 2014

Almost Back to Back...



By the time I had dinner after the walking Stars event and got out to Mission Bay there were only about 7 hours to the start of the next event... the Adra Charity Run.



I had thought this might be the case, so hadn't organized anywhere to stay, I thought I would just sleep in the car... well I wont try that again! 5 hours of short naps later I got up and went for a walk to try and loosen up.



I was thankful over the year that organizers of events like this could see past their own charities and sponsored me to run in their event anyway. Obviously I made no attempt to raise any money for my cause at their event.



The Adra event was out and back (with a small loop) to the East of Mission Bay bringing you back opposite the start at about 9km and then the remaining 12km was out and back to the West past Kelly Tarltons and even covering a bit of the same tarmac as Walking Stars the night before.


 It was great to see a few friends out there, Vera Alves and Forsyth Thompson were both there - Vera had her inhaler this time. Rebecca Edgecombe was there as well.



The first thing I noticed was sore muscles from the night before... but not the usual muscles. Plus a massive blister on my heel!! Never had one there before.



I taped up the blister and started at a steady pace, but it became obvious after as little as 5km that this was not going to be a fast time.



I hung in there up the small hill and through the park, back down on the way back towards the start for the first time I started to feel it.



So I just put head down and plodded gradually on, this was just one to finish... just before the second turn around at the city end in Quay Street, Rebecca passed me. She wasn't having a great day either she said... but still better than me.



In the end I plodded home in 2:02 for the slowest road half marathon I have done (excluding running with others) and in a fair amount of pain.



The run itself would have been quite nice if not for my condition. lots of lovely views on the Auckland waterfront... I can enjoy them now, but on the day they hurt!











No comments:

Post a Comment