Blog Archive

Sunday 5 January 2014

Running the Streets of Morrinsville...


Having run the Xterra National Trail Run the day before just down the road, we were lucky enough to be offered an amazing place to stay in between in Te Aroha.

Te Aroha Landing is great for runners and bikers alike. Each unit is like a small (and not so small) house with everything you need... 4 of the 6 units even have a garage. This is great for wet or dirty gear and of course if you have one of those bike things.We stayed in a 3 bedroom unit with a double garage... awesome!

Morrinsville is a place I would probably not know much about normally... except that I started a BNI Chapter up there a few years back and have since visited there every 5 to 6 weeks.

The event is officially called the Morrinsville College Fun Run, it serves to raise much needed funds for the local High School... that said, they didn't hesitate in offering me a sponsored start.

So after sleeping wonderfully well, we were at Morrinsville College in plenty of time for the start - as I usually am. The day was very nice... almost too nice for running a Half Marathon.

Gradually everyone appeared... although there were surprisingly none of my BNI Group in evidence. Not a big field, although they got a lot more for the 10km and the 5km which both started a bit later.

Lainy and Kate were both there to take the pics and be the wonderful support they always are. The give me a great lift on all events, but especially on the 'double'header' weekends.

This was one of the only Half Marathons I have ever run - in fact I cannot even remember one other that is totally through streets of houses, no running by rivers or bays. No running through country roads. The whole race was in the town, 2 laps of what felt like a convoluted course and yet when seen on the map afterwards (below) it wasn't. The only respite at all from the houses was a 200m stretch beside the Golf Club.

There wasn't that much to report from the actual race, on the second lap we met up with a few who were in the spirit of a fun run and dressed accordingly.

Having run up some pretty big hills the day before, my aim here was just to finish and eventually I dragged myself home in just over 1:51. I finally met up with one of my BNI members at the finish line, Peter from Cooper Aikten was doing his duty there.

An enjoyable day and number 28 in the books.



No comments:

Post a Comment