Blog Archive

Saturday 10 May 2014

Even the Best race...

Race Number 42 was a race that has long been one of my favourites since I first ran in 2011 and was one of the first races I wrote on my 52 in 52 plan.

But after a really tough week in Palmerston North Hospital with Lainy I headed down to national park from home with my heart not really in it... and that was the pattern for the rest of the day.

Total Sports had turned on an absolutely stunning day, there was a great crowd and everything was set for a ripper.. except my headspace.

While waiting at the start Oscar Emery, Dawn Tuffery and some other nutters arrived who had started at the Chateau to do the 'Tussock Reverse'.. ie run from the finish to the start and then run the race. The amazing thing was that Dawn did this and still finished 3rd in the women's event.

Up the killer first hill that I know so well... even after 3 races it still catches you out with just how long it keeps climbing, before you plunge off into the rocky terrain below.

I wont labour this description too much other than to say, I grafted pretty much the whole way. I tried taking lots of pics to liven me up... but it wasn't going to work. I talked with other runners where I could and battled.

My time in the end was still about 30 minutes faster than my very first Tussock, but about 13 minutes slower than 2012... so it could have been worse.

The Tussock really is one of the gems of NZ trail running. You start about 5km up the Tukino Skifield road and wind your way in a reverse L around to the Chateau. You will encounter pretty much everything, sand, rocks, mud, river crossings, big ups and big downs. Waterfalls, fantastic views, and even some hard and fast running near the end where the new 'sterile' trails have been built.

I will definitely go back to this race, mainly because I know it is a race I love and I need to erase the terrible run I had this time when my body was running, but my head and heart were back in Rotorua with Lorraine!








No comments:

Post a Comment