Blog Archive

Tuesday 12 November 2013

A Trail Run on Road...

Next up was a first for me (another one), a trip to Great Barrier Island... and a special race being #26 and the halfway mark of the challenge!

Thanks to the wonderful generosity of Fly My Sky, the best of the two airlines that fly to the island, I had a sponsored flight in on the Saturday morning and then a flight out that afternoon in time to run the Waitakere Half the next day.

After dreadful weather and high winds Friday I was a bit dubious, when I left Rotorua early Saturday, that I would be flying anywhere. But I got to Auckland and although a bit 'breezy', the flight was all go. Eventually the time came and we were loaded onto our Mini-bus with wings ready for the flight.

It was really great, they fly quite low, so you get fabulous views of the islands, houses, fishing boats, ant colonies.. nah just kidding. There was only one other passenger, a nice lady who told me she owned a house on the island and flew there regularly for weekends, she even had a 10 trip discount card!

I was wondering to myself why anyone would fly all the way our there for a weekend when we started our approach... and the question was answered. Wow!
Big white beaches. Lots of native-bush clad hills and obvious, even from the sky... trails!

Upon landing I was met by Cathy at the Fly My Sky counter... what a lovely lady. She introduced me to Todd, who was to be my lift to the start... very cool. My registration pack was also waiting at the airport and so without further ado, we were off.

Five minutes later we were at the start of my race, which was halfway through the marathon. So, for more about the race I will quote from the website:

"The annual Great Barrier Island Wharf to Wharf Marathon begins at Port FitzRoy wharf and finishes at Tryphena wharf. Walk, run, mountain bike. Full marathon or half marathon. Participants will experience rugged native bush, kauri, nikau, manuka, fern and some of the most unspoilt native forest left in New Zealand. Reaching the heights there are expansive views over white sandy beaches and across the ocean to an undisturbed horizon as well as green farmland, and picturesque settlements dotted around beautiful harbours.

Todd
The course follows the road overlooking Port FitzRoy harbour and down to the Kaiaraara Stream then continues up and down through rugged native bush, home to many of NZ’s native birdlife. The course reaches an elevation of 180 metres. One part of the course is described by Aaron Carter of Total Sport as “4km of unbelievable trail goodness…and views from out of this world”. Although arduous and challenging at times this event is a unique opportunity to enjoy some of the best scenery that Great Barrier Island has to offer."
Jane Thompson modeling Kori Kita!

 Yup, that about says it... except that the first half  of the marathon is predominantly trail, while the second half is all road - and you can run either as your half marathon. Unfortunately my flight didn't get me there in time for the early start and so I was limited to the road half.

I did however have a bit of a wait for my start and this was taken up at the start line, watching others (who had arrived the night before) slowly turn up nearer to start time. Also bumped into Petra Bagust (really nice lady!) and a film crew who were there as part of a documentary and to cover American 14 year old, Winter Vinecki's 6th leg of her bid to become the youngest runner to complete 7 marathons on the 7 continents. Was also stoked to spot one of Kate Townsley's Skorts being stylishly worn by Jane Thompson... didn't know her at the time, but do now... thanks to Kori Kita! We then watched the first of the Marathon runners (and cyclists) heading through.

Berin Smith
The start of the Hill
Took lots of pics and then it was our time and we were off. The whole race is limited to 200 or so entries and as some of those are on bikes, some running the first half and some the full marathon, there were not a heap of runners and we were very quickly spread out and on our own.

The run was quite pleasant, would have been very pleasant if I had not had my by-now constant pain in the upper groin and lower stomach. Painkillers dull this, but never quite take it away.

We had a shower of rain just passed Okiwi Airport, but that was it... the wind was blustery, but for the most part we were protected from it. Only one moderate stretch of straight road, then a dirty little out and back to the school that was obviously put in just to get the distance up... gave a good chance for photographer Mike to get some pics tho.

Never miss a Photo Op!
Then came the hill, the great thing, for me, was that it was about the same incline as Mount Ngongotaha... which I happen to live on... and is the kind of slope I can run all day. So where in a trail run hill (generally steeper) I generally get passed by all and sundry, against road runners I made serious inroads into those in front of me - and that included stopping for a photo opportunity halfway up. I passed Winter near the top and another couple of marathon runners at the crest.
Winter Vinecki - an amazing 14 yr old!

I had been passed about one kilometre in by a chap named Berin Smith (found the name out later) and he slowly pulled away from me. I started to catch him up the hill, but my photo stop cost me. Once down on the other coast and starting around the bays I could see him in the distance.

So I had a target, in the back of my head I knew it was nuts, as I had another race the next day, but what the heck... I slowly, its seemed too slowly, started to catch up... then we hit a few small hills and it was on these that I made more ground. Finally on the last and second steepest climb of the day I caught up... and, in best race style, pushed extra hard once past for the remainder of the climb to put some distance on.

Then came the 'don't let him pass me' attitude, so the last 3km hurt a bit as I pushed hard.

Katherine sans Support Crew!
In the end I finished in 1:51:55 in 5th place overall and 35 seconds ahead of Berin.

Then a well earned beer, a couple of sausages and a wait for Katherine Jancys (Samplonius) and her support crew! Katherine made it home in 5:51 and I had her beer there ready as promised... no sign of her support crew tho!

So, back into the shuttle bus for the trip to the Airport. Get there and Cathy (remember Cathy?) had the news that the flight was looking doubtful. Why says I, the weather is great - a bit windy but ok. Not however in Auckland, where they were having a full-on storm! As doubtful progressed to cancelled ... so were my chances of running Waitakere the next day.

Cathy was awesome, she rang around and got me into a local backpackers for the night, I had a nice 2.5km walk up the road to the Backpackers, which considering the run I coped with rather well. Decided that since I was here I might as well enjoy the prizegiving. Met up with Katherine and her 'lost' Support Crew of Katy Jones and Clarke Gilhooly and we shared lies about the days run and had a drink or two.

The next day they kindly picked me up in their rental car and we did a little sightseeing - that meant drive 100m then stop for Katy to take a pic, drive another 100m and repeat - before I got the call from Cathy that she had snuck me on an early flight and I was on my way.

Most who are following these posts will realise by now that I don't particularly like road runs... well this was another that broke that rule. I loved the island, the people, the race and the other runners I met were pretty bloody special too. This was a great experience and one that I will savour for longer next time... I fully intend to head back and do the full marathon next time and stay a day or two.


No comments:

Post a Comment